Dropout by Jamie Schlosser
Releasing April 27th
Over the past year, I’ve been called a lot of things. Slacker. Troublemaker. Party animal.
I thought I was on top of the world. Turns out, I was pretty close to rock bottom.
Now I have a new title: college dropout.
Talk about a reality check.
But I’ve got a chance to redeem myself. One summer to turn things around. Two months to prove I’m not a complete f*ck-up.
It’s time to change.
I want to get back to being one of the good guys.
I have everything I need to live out my dream of being a reclusive songwriter—my guitar, my notebook, and blissful silence.
At least, I did until Jimmy moved in next door.
With tattoos, piercings, and mischievous green eyes, he’s got bad news written all over him. And last time I got with a bad boy, it ended horribly.
Jimmy makes me feel things I shouldn’t feel. Want things I shouldn’t want. He’s a hazard to my carefully laid plans.
But he’s only here for two months.
I can resist him…right?
****4.5 Phenomenal Stars****
There is nothing I love more than finding a new to me author’s books to love, and let me tell y’all, I loved every unputdownable bit of Dropout by Jamie Schlosser. This book was fantastic. Fan-freaking-tastic. I could not put it down, I did not want to put it down one bit, and I just loved every single moment I got with these characters as they shared what they did. Jamie Schlosser hooked me into this story from the very first page of that unforgettable and heart racing prologue, and every page that followed pulled me in more to this sweet, heart touching, and deliciously heated love story.
Dropout was a book that had it all. Two lead characters I felt so much for. The perfect blend of banter, heat, and feels. A town and world of supporting characters that were lively and so enjoyable. A story that had the right amount of twists and turns, with just enough of everything woven into a love story I could not get enough of.
Dropout is a satisfying, well written, and downright good read that will have you loving every wonderful bit you get with Mackenna and Jimmy as they see what could be between them. You won’t want to leave those two. Trust me. I finished this book with the biggest smile on my face, and I still wanted more time with those two because I loved their characters so much.
This book made me smile. It made me laugh out loud more times than I could count. It made me swoon and melt and just love what these two were sharing. It kept me so encapsulated in what this author created through every turn of the page, and that was exactly what I needed.
What I Loved About This Book:
- Jimmy Stole My Heart. Let me tell y’all, Jimmy stole my heart from the very first pages of this book. I loved that man. I loved that he was trying to prove himself and turn his life back to where he wanted it to be. I loved that he was a guy with so much tenacity and determination to get what he wanted, to show Mackenna what could be, yet at the same time he had such a thoughtfulness and protective nature to him that just melted my heart. I loved that he wasn’t afraid to fight for what he knew was possible, and I loved that he did it all with a heart of gold that was good all the way through. I think the goodness of that guy shined through every page of this book, and I can’t say enough how much I loved it. I might’ve also loved the fact that he was covered in tattoos and had piercings to boot. Just saying. I am telling you, once you meet this man, you’ll love him. You’ll love his heart, his humor, and you’ll just love every single incredible bit of him.
- Mackenna’s Fight to Heal. Mackenna is one strong female character. That girl has been through so much, more than any person should, and years later she is still trying to put all the pieces back together. Since everything that’s happened she’s kept to herself, but one unforgettable encounter with her new next door neighbor Jimmy leads to things she never could’ve expected. My heart went to Mackenna through every page of this book. That girl is on a path to healing, and slowly but surely, she along with the help and thoughtful push of Jimmy, starts to heal from her past in order to fight for the future she so starts to want. I loved Mackenna’s strength, I loved her fire and that she wasn’t afraid to be honest, and I loved how she just felt. I felt it all with that girl while reading this book, and getting to be with her as she healed, as she fell, and as she fought to be where she so deserved to be was amazing.
- There’s something about those two. From the moment Jimmy and Mackenna meet, there is a literal spark that fires between those two that keeps pulling them closer and closer together. What the two of them share is so real, so full of feels, and I guarantee it’ll make you blush, but more than that it’ll have you knowing and believing about the power of meeting the one right person. What Mackenna and Jimmy share just felt so right and so good. Those two have such a connection with one another that builds and grows over the course of this book. Those two grow right along with that connection, and they soon realize that what first started off with sparks, is so much more. Getting that more with them gave me it all, and had me rooting with all I had that those two would figure it all out. Their love story in Dropout will pull at your heart, while simultaneously making you blush, and you will eat up every moment of that.
- A town and cast of characters I can’t get enough of. Now I have to say that part of what made me love this book so much was the small town it took place in, along with the incredible and distinctive supporting characters that came along with it. Beverly, Jimmy’s grandma, is an absolute gem and there was not an instant with that spunky woman where she didn’t make me laugh out loud. The other characters of this book and world add a phenomenal layer to the story between Mackenna and Jimmy, and just pull you in more to what’s happening. I fell in love with them all, and the small town they call home. When I finished this book I knew I needed more with them all, and I can’t wait to read the other books in this series and to get back to that small and wonderful town. I am telling you, you will just love being in this book and world and the goodness that exudes from it.
- A little something more. One of my favorite aspects of this book was how it pushed both Mackenna and Jimmy to want more. It pushed their emotions, their hearts, and their purposes and dreams. It forced them both to really think about what they wanted, and what they were willing to do for what they desired so much. This book and its events pushed them both to their limits in different ways, and forced them to realize what was important and what they needed. Getting to be with them every step of the way as they figured it all out, as they tried to see what could be between them, and as they pushed for that more was phenomenal. It was exciting and romantic and scary and it forced them to be vulnerable and honest, but in the same breath it showed them all of what could be if they only gave it all a chance. Seeing them take that chance was what made this book so good.
- Phenomenal writing that hooks you in! This is the first book I’ve read by Jamie Schlosser, but you can rest assured it will not be the last. I loved her writing so much. I loved how it hooked me in right from the start, and allowed me to feel like I was right there with these characters experiencing what they were. I loved how her writing let me sink right into this story, how it let me get and understand these characters, and how it put me right in the thick of it with them. Her writing brought these characters and their story to life in the most consuming way, and that is just part of why I loved what she gave me so much. I look forward to reading more of her words because I have no doubt I will love them just as much as I did with Dropout.
Dropout is a story of how the one person you would have never thought would mean something, can end up being the one person who means everything. This book is a sweet, enrapturing, and humor and heat filled read that will give you a book full of life, love, healing, and the amazing things that can happen when you have all three. This book just made my heart happy. It squeezed it with what these characters go through and their struggles, and it had me loving and rooting for them through every word.
If you are looking for a story that will take you in with all it has, give you so many moments that will have you laughing and smiling and just feeling it all, all while falling head over heels for the serious connection and heart of two characters, then you need this book in your life. I can’t say enough how much I needed a book like this. It just felt good to read this story, to get to know and fall in love with these characters, and to be with them through everything that came their way.
Dropout was well written, unputdownable in the best possible way, and told a phenomenal story of two characters that may have seemed quite opposite, yet connected in all the right ways that mattered. You will love this book, and I am telling you, in the end you will finish it with a full heart and a big smile, and maybe a bit of a blush, and that is just part of what makes this book so incredible.
Be sure to check out Jamie Schlosser at the following links!!