Intoxicate, Book # 4 in the Explosive Series
Can be read as a standalone
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Day: January 29, 2015
Two words Kalli Montgomery never expected to say out loud to Xavier Cruz, even though she’s been in love with the sexy, single father for as long as she can remember. Unfortunately, she hasn’t just been friend-zoned for the past ten years. No, even worse, he’s treated her like a little sister, no matter how hard she tried to prove she could be so much more. When she agrees to spend the summer as the caregiver for his daughter, Lily, she knows it’s her last chance to finally make him take notice.
As unexpected circumstances threaten to disrupt his home life, Xavier’s desperate to keep his family together. He’ll do whatever it takes, even if it means marrying a woman he doesn’t love. For Xavier and Lily, Kalli will do just about anything, even at the risk of getting her heart broken in the process.
Little does she know, sometimes love isn’t quite as unrequited as one may think. Xavier sees her-he always has. And the vow he made all those years ago never to go there with his best friend’s little sister is wavering, and it’s wavering fast. When they come up with a plan that leads to wedding bells, it’s a no brainer.
This marriage of convenience has one rule: absolutely no falling in love.
Easier said than done. Throw together a girl who believes rules are meant to be broken, and a man whose whole career revolves around following orders and you get a recipe for disaster. What could possibly go wrong?
*****5 Huge Stars*****
So I think it’s safe to say that Tessa Teevan continues to blow me away more and more with the utterly fantastic books she writes. It’s also pretty safe to say that her books, the wonderful characters she creates, and her phenomenally crafted stories are ones that will stay with me.
For effing ever.
I’ve loved every single book by this author, and I am simply enraptured by what she creates in all of them. She creates dynamic, passionate, relatable characters that you can’t help but love, care, and root for. The storylines captivate you in fully, and make it so you HAVE to finish because you physically cannot put them down.
And all those gloriously developed emotions, feelings, relationships, and everything else in between will envelop you in the instant you start them, and by the end you’ll be begging them to never let you go.
Intoxicate was no different for me, and was just another shining example of why I just LOVE this outstanding author’s books. It had me adoring the fabulous ferocity that is Xavier and Kalli. Those two really are something else, and there’s no way to resist their charming little selves in this superb book.
It also had me wishing like crazy that I will find someone like Xavier Cruz to whisper Spanish sweet nothings in my ear. Fingers crossed for that one!
What I absolutely loved about Intoxicate:
- Fiery Kalli Montgomery. Kalli is sassy and fiery and passionate as all get out. There’s no way to resist her dynamic disposition, and I dare you to try and resist the pull of this spunky little lady. There is just a spark about her, and that spark will immediately draw you in. She’s also one helluva fighter and that shines through again and again throughout Intoxicate. Kalli is a serious firecracker, and you’re going to love all the breathtaking and amazing sparks she emits over the course of this book!
- The utterly swoon worthy Xavier Cruz. Xavier Cruz is just a darn good man. He’s a single dad that will practically make you swoon the instant you meet him. He loves his daughter Lily fiercely, and the sacrifices he makes for her will have you falling at his feet. Xavier is also immensely endearing, and the things that man says and does will melt you heart…and something else if you catch my not so subtle drift. He feels with all he’s got, and the spectacular level of vulnerability he has will have you head over heels in love with him before you can look up how to say “thank you lord for Xavier Cruz” in Spanish.
- The general set up of the story. The way Intoxicate is told, you know the what, but throughout you learn much more about the why, and how things came to be. Your thrust right into the thick of it, which just works so well for this particular story. It feels as though you’re experiencing it all right along with the characters because of how it’s all fantastically set up. Going back between past and present was spectacular, and it allows you to see, feel, and fully experience how everything unfolds for Kalli and Xavier. The setup of the story just works, and helps you just get everything there is to know about them.
- All that depth of feeling. Kalli and Xavier both feel deeply about one another. You’ll feel that the instant you meet them, and you’ll be dying for the moment when they’ll realize it to be true. That depth of feeling just adds to the build of Kalli and Xavier’s relationship. This book had build for days, and at times that build had me practically shrieking for when it would all explode over, but all that build felt so darn good. That also just heightens how much you feel the passion and connection they share, and their level of intimacy at times had me through the roof with happiness, because it showed how deep their feelings truly went.
- What they bring out in each other. Kalli and Xavier bring out some pretty magnificent things in one another. That’s one of the things I loved most about them because that kind of spoke volumes about them. The strength that Kalli brings out in Xavier, and how Xavier pushes Kalli to see and fight for what she wants, are just two of the many outstanding things these characters bring out in the other. They make and push each other to be more, and that just sold me.
- Push and pull. There is so much push and pull between Kalli and Xavier, but that characterizes their story in the best possible way. It forces them to fight for what they want and have, and it pushes and pulls them to places they’ve always wanted to be, yet never knew they’d get to. The flow and evolution of their relationship just works, and increases all that push, pull, and build to a whole new level. Through all of that you’ll learn so much about them, and that will have you just pushing and pulling right along with them for what they desire.
- The best supporting cast you could ask for! This series has some of the best supporting characters around. Even if you haven’t read their respective stories yet, you’ll love them and be captivated by their enthralling selves. They’ve all got their own little personalities that continue to shine through and just pull you into them more. You feel as if you’re a part of the crazy unique family within this book. You feel included and that makes all the difference, because spending time with this bunch is nothing short of wonderful.
- The best of both worlds. You get everything in this book, and I mean everything. You get the heat and sexiness exploding off the page. You get humor at the best points to lighten it all. You get the passion they share, the heartache they feel, the evolution of ups downs and turn arounds in their relationship, and every little thing in between. And it all just balances seamlessly to give you the whole entire outstanding package.
- All the heart melting moments. So many moments in this book had me feeling one helluva heavy sigh, in such an extraordinary way. Some hurt, some weren’t pretty because of what was going on, and some practically brought my heart to its knees, but I wouldn’t have had it any other way because some of those heart melting moments took my effing breath away with how beautiful they were. Those moments made this book, and were this book. They exemplified everything Intoxicate was about: accepting what you feel even if it’s messy and scary as all get out, and putting trust in all that you feel and know to be true. And once you get there, it’s nothing less than pure amazing. Trust me.
I am telling you that this book will have you intoxicated in every little spectacular thing Xavier and Kalli share. Their connection. Their story. All their passionate feelings. You’ll be intoxicated by just the amazingness that is them.
Tessa Teevan brings yet another wonderful couple to life in a way that is just exceptional, and I’m telling you that you won’t be able to resist the firework level pull of Kalli and Xavier’s remarkable story.
It’s almost as if they’re two puzzle pieces with their own little grooves that make them them, but as their relationship grows and develops, new grooves mold their way into each of their distinct pieces, changing them permanently. Making them more distinctive in their own ways, but with each new groove Kalli and Xavier just become more and more right for each other.
Intoxicate is a book is all about them finding, searching for, and fighting for those moments when they can start to fit together, and as much as they sometimes fight against those new grooves coming into place, and as much as they sometimes try to resist that inexplicable pull between them, their journey and their outstanding evolution is exactly what they need.
And let me tell you, you need to experience the power of that. This very instant, because the fiery pull of Kalli and Xavier is contagious, and you’re going to want to catch what they share the first second you can.
Shooting a glare at him, I throw my hands up in exasperation. “Are you telling me that this whole anticipation thing is one-sided? Is it that easy for you to resist? I really need to step up my game.”
Xavier’s eyes fall to my lips for a quick moment before he looks back up at me. I see the desire in his expression, and without him even saying a word, I know he wants this, too. So why is he making me wait?
“You have no idea how much I want to kiss you right now. How many times I’ve thought of doing just that. Every time you were curled up against me on the couch, I wanted to kiss you. Every morning when you showed up, I wanted to kiss you. Every time you said goodnight to Lily and then slipped out my door? I wanted to kiss you before you left. It’s not a new development. The first time I ever saw you, Kalli, I wanted to kiss you. And I’ve wanted to ever since.”
His admission floors me. He’s told me before that he “saw” me, but I had no clue it was from the very beginning. I’m not really sure how to process it. In fact, he beats me to the punch.
“So now you know. This will be just as hard for me, but it will be so damn worth it. Because when you’ve wanted something for as long as I’ve wanted you? It’ll be the best feeling in the world when I finally get it.”
“Our first kiss will be that epic?”
“A first kiss to rival them all,” he quips, grinning at me. He holds his arms out wide. “Now, we’ll start with a hug and work our way up.”
“I feel like I’m sixteen again,” I tell him as I wrap my arms around his waist.
His hands come down to my back and he gives me a big squeeze, my head pressing against his firm chest. I love this feeling of being in his arms, him holding me close. There’s nowhere on the planet I’d rather be than right here with him. As much as I want him, I know he’s right. I don’t care when it comes. Because when it does, our first kiss will be unforgettable.
His chest rumbles as he chuckles. He squeezes me tight one last time before letting me go. “And it’s only just the beginning,” he tells me. “Have a good night, crazy girl.”
I’m a twenty something book junkie who is also obsessed with sports. Bengals, Buckeyes, Reds are my teams! I work for the government during the day, hang out with Air National Guard on the weekends, and have been married to my own book boyfriend for over seven years. We currently live right outside of Dayton, OH with our two cats.
If I’m not writing or looking through tons of photos of hot men, all in the name of research, then you can probably find me curled up with my Kindle, ignoring the rest of the world. I love my sports almost as much as I love my books. My other obsessions include red wine, hot men, country music, and all things Grace Potter.
Connect with the Author
Click the link below to enter the giveaway!!