By: J.C. Reed
Genre: Mature New Adult/ Adult Contemporary Romance
Recommended for ages 18 and up.
Full Length Novel
When a sexy encounter comes like a dream…
Brooke Stewart thinks she’s finally safe and can move on from her past. But after one night at the Trio Hotel and meeting the sexy stranger with the green eyes that can steal one’s soul, her life is changed forever. Passions run deep. The fun is supposed to be for one night with no strings attached.
Sexy millionaire Jett Mayfield can have any woman he wants, but the night he sees Brooke, he knows what he has to do. Brooke has something Jett desperately wants, something he can’t admit to the woman he tries to get to surrender. He has a secret so deep it would upend her life if she found out too soon. He’s almost reached his goal, and then she gets a letter she was not meant to read. Suddenly, secrets get a completely new meaning.
When two hearts collide, at least one is bound to shatter.
A man who takes what he wants A woman who’s ready to give him one night One bet that turns into a game of seduction But Mr. Sexy drives in the fast lane. And he has a secret that could destroy her.
****4 1/2 Hot Hot Stars****
This was the first book I had ever read by J.C. Reed, and I have to say that I really enjoyed reading The Lover’s Secret. It had so many aspects to it that I just loved, and I was immediately taken in with the story and its characters, Brooke and Jett.
J.C. Reed’s writing is well done, and the book hooked me in from the first page. It also made me want more of these fabulous characters, and I am dying to see where their story goes after this book.
What I loved about The Lover’s Secret:
- The unpredictability. I loved that this book was unpredictable with what was going on in the story and with the actions of the characters. I never knew where the next plot twist or turn would lead. I loved that, and that kept the entire book seriously engaging.
- The passion and connection. You can feel the passion and instantaneous connection between these two characters right away. It’s raw and visceral and really powerful altogether. It also lights the pages of this book on fire, and you will definitely be feeling the heat from these two.
- The mystery. There is a true sense of mystery that weaves its way through this book. When you read this book you will feel that mystery working its way through the story with the secrets coming out in little pieces that will leave you dying to figure it all out. These little mysteries and secrets left me wanting to know all the answers the questions they brought up, and that completely captivated me to the story.
- Brooke’s past. You can definitely tell that Brooke has a past filled with some pretty heavy things, and that those events are heavily influencing the way she’s acting, feeling, and thinking in the present. I loved reading that because it just made so much sense and it made me really feel for her character. It allowed me the chance to understand exactly why she felt the way she did. It just helped me “get” her.
- The beautiful writing. The writing in this book was fantastic. I could picture everything so well, and I could easily feel every single thing the characters were feeling because of how wonderful the writing was. The writing just made this book, and it really made the characters and story come to life off the page.
- What in the world is Jett up to? Throughout this book I was heavily intrigued with trying to figure Jett out. There is a lot of mystery surrounding him, and I loved that. He also is hot as all get out, and I was loving how I had to try to decipher what in the world was going on with him. There’s clearly a lot more at play him with this story, and I cannot wait to find out what that is in the coming books in this series.
- The supporting characters. These characters really help bring the story together, and they each add something to the story, whether it’s more mystery or secrets or just some good old social interaction. I love the instances where I got to see those other characters and what they added to the story, and overall they helped round out the book well.
- Wham bam thank you ma’am. This book is fast paced and highly charged. It was thrilling and exciting, and it kept me hooked in the entire time. Its hits the ground running and didn’t let you go until the book was over, and that just works.
- The trust thing. I really liked the fact that this book explores the trust that Brooke has with herself, her feelings, and with Jett himself. Her past which slowly and thoughtfully comes to the page makes it easy to understand why it’s hard for her to trust. Reading how she tries to figure out what and who she can trust within herself and others is just utterly fabulous, and it made her character truly authentic.
- The great anticipation of more. This book has a surprise around every corner and will leave you highly anticipating what will happen next in the coming books. I am dying to know how this will all turn out, and I can’t wait to read this books follow up. That anticipation will have you feeling the same way. I guarantee it.
The Lover’s Secret overall was just a fantastic book to read. It had a ton of aspects that I just loved, and I want truly captivated by the story being told. Brooke and Jett were characters that I truly enjoyed reading, and their story is one that will take you on one hell of a ride.
**This book is a standalone book as part of a new series, but the characters in these books are also the two main characters from her Surrender Series. This book is a new twist to their story, and twisty it was! You don’t have to read those books to understand these characters or this book, though I did go on to read that entire series AFTER reading The Lover’s Secret. And I will have you know that I loved reading it in that order.