Amazon US: http://amzn.to/1EWf7QW
Amazon UK: http://amzn.to/1DfD2sz
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1y2bxMH
An obligation is a course of action that someone is required to take, whether legal or moral.
At six years old, Myla was sent to a family her father and mother had chosen for her when they knew their time on earth was almost up. What they were unaware of was what they thought would be her safe haven would become her living hell.
Kai has been watching Myla from afar since he took over the family business from his father and inherited the responsibility of keeping her safe. When word gets back to Kai that Myla is not only in danger, but that his assets are being compromised, he immediately jumps into action and does the only thing that can be done at the time by marrying her.
Neither Myla nor Kai would have thought that something that started off as a farce would become the most important thing either of them could’ve ever done.
“Everyone is looking for you.”
I turn my head, pulling my hair out of my face as I watch a boy I’ve never seen before climb up the stairs and into my tree house.
“Who are you?” I ask him as he sits across from me.
“Kai,” he smiles, looking around. He looks a lot different than the other kids I know. His hair is long, and his skin is a lot darker than mine. “Why are you hiding?”
I shrug and look away from him. Daddy was yelling earlier; he was so mad that he was turning red. Then Mommy started crying, and Daddy started yelling louder. I heard Mommy telling Daddy that he had to send me away. I don’t want to go away. I try to be good, but sometimes, I forget to listen.
“Why are you crying?”
I look up at him and wipe my face. “I’m scared,” I whisper, wiping my nose.
“Come on. I’ll protect you,” he says, holding his hand out to me.
Then my mommy calls my name again. I look at his hand, move Mr. Bear under my arm, and put my hand in his.
“Myla!” Mommy yells, running towards me.
I can tell she has been crying again.
“Where did you go?” Her hands grab my shoulders and she shakes me hard.
“It’s my fault. I asked her to show me the tree house,” Kai tells her.
She stops shaking me then looks at him. “You shouldn’t have done that. You knew we were looking for her,” she says angrily her head.
“I’m sorry. I wasn’t thinking,” Kai says softly, putting his hands in his pockets and looking at the ground.
I look back at Mommy, and she shakes her head before grabbing my hand and pulling me with her. When I look over my shoulder at Kai, he smiles, making me smile back.
I feel the sun on my closed eyelids and something sharp poking me in the face. Moving my hand, trying to get away from the pain, I whimper when it scrapes against my cheek. I lift my head and run my fingers along the side of my face, feeling wetness. Opening my eyes to see a light smear of blood on my fingers. I flip my hand over, and then I see the gaudy ring that is now taking up residence on my ring finger.
“Great,” I whisper, closing my eyes and laying my head down again.
I prayed earlier, before I went to sleep, that when I woke up, the ring I’m wearing now and the man who put it there would be nothing but a bad dream. No such luck. I roll over and take a shaky breath, wanting to close my eyes for a few more seconds, wishing I could just sleep until everything was back to normal.
Obligation is the next installment in Aurora Rose Reynolds utterly fantastic Underground Kings Series. Each of Aurora Rose Reynold’s books have been absolute must reads for me because boy does she know how to write one heck of a story, with an absolute gem of an alpha male, and the perfect female counterpart with her own wonderfully distinctive personality.
Obligation is no different. It has every aspect and more that makes me love a book, and the reading experience it gives me.
I’ve loved all of her books, but there’s just something about this series that just gets me. Something that just hooks me into it all that much more. The darker and more intense feelings because of the nature and premise of this series has me beyond enthralled. I also seriously love how much these characters and their storylines just push the boundaries a bit more.
It just works, and I can’t get enough.
Obligation, and Kai and Myla’s story was one I absolutely loved for what it gave me as a reader. I honestly wish I could spend more time in their book, because I loved both of those passionate people immensely. Their story in Obligation is one that will just have you realizing once again what it means to read and experience a truly fantastic book.
What I loved about Obligation:
- The softness and strength of Myla. Myla had such a grace and softness to her. I was kind of taken aback by how beautiful her character was, and I don’t just mean physically. Her emotions and the things she felt, the essence that was her, her spirit, and just the things she said and did over the course of the book were just beautiful and showed a real sense of strength from within her. After all that she went through and overcame in her life, to have that perfect blend of softness and strength just kind of left me in awe of her character.
- Kai’s unyielding self. Kai was a character I was sold on the instant I met him. He is a protector, someone who will go to the ends of the earth to do what needs to be done for all those he cares about, and it just so happens one of those people is Myla. What Kai embodied in this book with just the general magnificence that was him melted my heart because of the fierceness of what he felt, the passion behind it, and all the meaning and reasoning for his actions. Kai is the ultimate protector, and you feel that as the reader. It’s also going to have you wishing that you had your own Kai in your life because of what that man makes you feel.
- That wonderful push and pull. There is a lot of will they or won’t they in this book. Aurora Rose Reynolds creates the perfect amount of push and pull between Myla and Kai, and that will just have you clawing at what these two could share together. Fighting and praying that they’ll get it together. All that push and pull and back and forth will have you feeling as if you’re building towards something pretty spectacular, and let me tell you that that push and pull will just have you soaring with love for Myla and Kai, and what they experience as a result of that push and pull.
- The perfect amount of counterbalance. Where Myla is soft and sweet, Kai is that perfect counterpart of hard and not so sweet. They balance each other out phenomenally, and I couldn’t get enough of seeing that balance attempt to come together. I also effing loved what these two brought out in one another. In a way Kai makes Myla stronger, and in another way Myla makes Kai softer. They make each other better, and they make each other whole, and getting to see how all that balance tries to unfold is just outstanding.
- All the feeling. I can’t say enough how much I felt this book in every way, shape, and form. All the passion, all the want and desire, all the doubts and questions, and all the possibilities. You feel it in your bones because of the outstanding way Aurora Rose Reynolds writes this book. You’re experiencing and feeling it all as you read this book. Those feelings just amplify everything from the page, and connect you more and more into what you’re reading.
- Twists and turns galore. One of my favorite aspects of this series is the nonstop action. I never know what or where the story will take the characters in, and what twists and turns are around the corner. I love the excitement that that brings, and how much that just engages me in the story. Aurora Rose Reynolds adds in just enough drama and excitement to keep you more than interested, but more importantly it all makes sense for the story and the characters. It flows extremely well, and all those twists and turns have you dying to know what will happen next.
- How it all unfolds. Myla and Kai have an unusual beginning to their story. It’s not typical, but that’s what makes the difference. Getting to know these characters and their story the way that it’s developed with all its intricate and detailed layers is fantastic. It all just works together so well, and slowly but surely you get more pieces to the puzzle that is Kai and Myla’s extraordinary story. And the more you see the more you love it, and the more you live it, the more you will be praying with all you’ve got that everything will work out for these two.
- Underground Kings all the way. This series has the title Underground Kings for a reason, and the way the author brings the theme of this series into the individual stories is exceptional. There is almost a tangible level of excitement and danger, but at its core it shows that these men and these characters are willing to give every ounce of their being to do what they know is right for the people they love and care for. Feeling and experiencing that kind of theme, that kind of devotion, that level of protectiveness, and just meeting characters that fully embody that sentiment is just effing spectacular. It also exemplifies the absolute best things from the characters and stories in this fantastic series.
Obligation was another must read for me by Aurora Rose Reynolds. It had so many aspects to it that I just loved, and I simply couldn’t get enough of spending time with Kai and Myla’s phenomenal characters. They were just kind of the bees’ knees because of all they were and had to offer, and this author’s fantastic and well-crafted writing just brought them and their story to life.
Myla and Kai and their fantastic story will have you feeling it all right along with them, and will have you fighting like crazy that these two fiercely passionate people can find a way to make it all work. Their story is going to take you on one helluva ride that is full of so much amazingness, and in the end you’ll be very sad to say goodbye, but at the same time you’ll just be ecstatic that you got to experience it all.
Trust me. I have one heck of a book hangover because of that.
Obligation is just another magnificent addition to Aurora Rose Reynolds’ Underground Kings series, and I for one cannot wait for more. Like I might be needing that tomorrow, because I am dying to jump back into the spectacular world this author created with this book and this series. Fingers crossed the next book is out very very soon!!
Assumption (Underground Kings #1)
Barnes & Noble: http://bit.ly/1qaNWJ3
Goodreads Link: http://bit.ly/1olp5C0
a thing that is accepted as true or as certain to happen, without proof
They say when you assume that you make an ass out of you and me. Kenton Mayson learned this lesson firsthand when he made assumptions about Autumn Freeman and the kind of woman she is based on what little information he had. What he finds out is she’s not only beautiful, but also smart, funny, a fighter, and exactly the kind of woman he wants to share his life with. Autumn made assumptions of her own about Kenton, and now he needs to prove her wrong in order to protect her and their future.
Aurora Rose Reynolds is a navy brat who’s husband served in the United States Navy. She has lived all over the country but now resides in New York City with her Husband and pet fish. She’s married to an alpha male that loves her as much as the men in her books love their women. He gives her over the top inspiration everyday. In her free time she reads, writes and enjoys going to the movies with her husband and cookie. She also enjoys taking mini weekend vacations to nowhere, or spends time at home with friends and family. Last but not least she appreciates everyday and admires it’s beauty.