With one foot in front of the other I start running. Over the dunes and into the sand, I push as hard as I can. With tears streaming down my cheeks, visions of the fire play out before me. Gasping for air, the smell of smoke fills my senses. I didn’t notice it before but now it is so strong I almost gag. Wiping my nose with the back of my hand, I desperately try to find some fresh air. But no, there it is again, that smell. It’s on my skin. It’s like it isn’t just following me, but now permanently a part of me. Charging into the water, I dive under into the silence. My hands run over my arms, my face, and through my hair. I’m frantic and I have to get rid of the smell.
Washing up on to the shore, I curl up into a ball on the wet sand. My heart is broken for Beau and I’m so afraid. So very afraid. He’s the one and only person who has ever shown me love and the thought of losing him paralyzes me with fear. My sobs are still silent. I’ve been taught not to make a sound. But they hurt so much. Without a voice, I mouth his name over and over again. I just want Beau. I need Beau. He’s the only one who can make this all better, and make everything about this dreadful night disappear.
But he isn’t here and he can’t be.
With my eyes pinched shut, the smell of smoke in my nose, and the feel of a nonexistent heat against my skin, I know. I know it with a certainty that has robbed me of my voice and permeated itself into my pores that, no matter what, everything about this night will be . . . unforgettable.
*****5 Heartfelt Stars*****
I am an ending person. That’s my favorite part of a book because I love that end result. It’s honestly why I love reading series so much, because if I get a phenomenal ending, an ending that just leaves me breathless and so totally in love with what I’ve just experienced, it makes me love that series and that ending book even more.
Unforgettable Sun was an extraordinary ending to The Hale Brothers Series by Kathryn Andrews. I don’t think I could’ve asked for anything better, and while I am so sad this series is ending, I could not have asked for a more perfect book to close out this series of unforgettable books.
This last book and Matt and Elle’s story just reiterated once again why I love this outstanding series, and why it is assuredly one of my all-time favorites. Each book that I’ve read in this series has completely blown me away with the level of emotion and feeling that flows from the page, the extraordinary characters I met that I won’t ever forget, and their thoughtfully developed stories that pulled me in every single time I read them.
Matt and Elle’s story in Unforgettable Sun is simply unforgettable. I’ve been dying to get my hands on Matt’s story since I met him in Drops of Rain, and I was completely enamored by him in this book. Then to top it all off I got Elle’s character, and she is just one of the most authentic and endearing characters I think I’ve had the chance to read.
I adored them both, and reading their story and experiencing all that they go through was nothing short of amazing.
What was truly unforgettable about Unforgettable Sun:
- Getting into Matt’s head. Matt’s character has always intrigued me, so I was beyond ready to get into his head and learn more about him. I was just enraptured by him throughout this entire book. Knowing his thoughts and feelings, and experiencing what he’d been through just made me care for and love his character more. It also broke my heart at times to read that darkness he faced, and reading his struggle made me want to reach in and make it better for him. But seeing how Matt handled that struggle, how he attempted to overcome it and fight through it just made him so remarkable to read.
- The realness of Elle. Elle was a character that I just instantly connected to. She felt so real to me, and Kathryn Andrews creates her in such a way that just makes her come to life. Elle just screamed authenticity, and I found her character to be so relatable and easy to love. I also could not get enough of how strong she was, because like Matt she faces some pretty heavy things, but through it all she gives it her all to be exactly who she wants to be. I just loved how Elle faced and persevered through everything, and there was just such a vibrant beauty to her both inside and out.
- That serious connection. Matt and Elle have a serious connection that sparks off of the page, and you will feel that the instant they meet. That connection builds and grows immensely over the course of their story, and it just heightens and solidifies everything they are feeling and experiencing together. You will feel the enormity and pull of their connection when you read their story. It will pull you in like a moth to a flame, and there’s no way you won’t feel that amazing and spark filled connection they share.
- Exposing the past. Both of these characters have past and present darkness that they’re facing, but getting to know Matt’s past and what was haunting him just left me speechless. I had always wanted to know what was haunting Matt, and what led him to being the way that he was. What he goes through and what he had to experience just hurt my heart and made me so angry for him because of what he faced day in and day out. Reading Matt expose his past, being that vulnerable, and then in turn actually attempting to overcome it just left me in awe of him, and when you find out all he’s gone through I guarantee you’ll feel the exact same way.
- All that fight. There is so much wondrous fight in this book. Matt is fighting the darkness from his past that haunts him every day. Elle is fighting the negativity that surrounds and permeates her world, while also fighting against a very real kind of danger. Matt is also fighting against the feelings he just knows to be true, and Elle is fighting to help him realize that what they’re feeling, what they could have is something exceptional. Something unforgettable. Reading all that fight just demonstrates the shear tenacity of these characters, and that determination just defines this book and them in the most amazing way.
- More time with my favorite set of brothers. So I love me some Hale Brothers. A lot. I’ve loved every book in this series because I’ve loved each of those brothers for the dynamic and distinctive people they are. Unforgettable Sun really just illuminates the depth of love these brothers have for one another. Those boys stole my little heart, and I think each of them are always going to have a little piece of it because they’re just that spectacular and heart melting. They really are the best and this book gives you another little fabulous taste of them all.
- Emotions and feelings galore. Kathryn Andrews knows how to create a story with so many varied and thoughtfully crafted emotions and feelings. They flow throughout each of her books, and just make them the magnificent things that they are. When I read Matt and Elle’s story I not only had the chance to step into their dynamic heads, I got to feel and experience and live everything they were. You feel their heartbreak, their pain, and their hurt. You also feel all their vulnerability, but you also get to experience their hope and fight and just all the amazing things that make them who they are. Having that kind of a connection and the chance to experience what they do with that level of emotion was extraordinary, and it just made me connect to Matt and Elle even more because of their fantastically layered and emotional story.
- The theme of being free. This book is all about being free. Being free of the past and the darkness it entails, free of other people and expectations, and just being free to be who you are. Being free to follow that sun, that light, and that happiness. Matt and Elle are both seeking that feeling of freeness, and the journey you go on with them as they push to be free is nothing short of wonderful. Kathryn Andrews adds that theme of being free into this story in such meaningful and beautiful ways, and I promise you are going to be enthralled by their journey and fight to be free.
- That ending! Now I’m not telling you how this book ends, but just know that the ending for this book, for this series was everything I wanted and needed it to be and more. It will satisfy you, it will blow you away, and it will do everything in its power to make your heart oh so happy. Matt and Elle’s story is one helluva journey, and it provides the most superb ending to a phenomenal series.
Unforgettable Sun and Matt and Elle’s story exemplified everything that makes a book exceptional for me. Their story gave me the opportunity to feel with them, connect with them, hurt with them, and love them for everything they were and were trying to do. I wouldn’t trade that experience in for the world because it allowed me the chance to truly connect to two authentic characters and their utterly breathtaking story.
Every book in this series has given me so many things. This series gave me the chance to spend time with 3 dynamic and captivating brothers with some seriously dark and twisty pasts, as they fought for that light they so truly deserved. It also gave me three beautifully written stories that exemplified what it means to give it your all in order to end up exactly where you need to be. This series gave me 3 unique and mesmerizing reading experiences that gave me it all.
This series gave me everything. Unforgettable Sun gave me everything. Matt and Elle gave me everything.
This book is just another shining example of Kathryn Andrews’ phenomenal writing and storytelling, and as much as I wish this wasn’t the end, what she gave me within each of these books is something I will truly never forget.